Shahjalal Jamia Islamia School & College Students Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ISLAMIC SONG
Gallery
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  Empty
Latest topics
» SINGS OF HYPOCRATE
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 5:10 pm by SARWAR

» WIKILEAKS EXPOSÉ
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 1:26 am by SARWAR

» Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 1:26 am by SARWAR

» UK, US active to change madrasas
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 1:25 am by SARWAR

» 'DGFI wanted extremists in mainstream politics'
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 1:24 am by SARWAR

» US, India were against disbanding RAB
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 1:23 am by SARWAR

» Eid-ul-Fitr coming
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 5:43 pm by MuNaeM

» Eid Mubarak to all Friends
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 11:56 am by SARWAR

» $1.7bn Saudi monorail 'ready for hajj 2010'
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 1:03 pm by SARWAR

» বেগম জিয়া স্বেচ্ছায় সেনানিবাসের বাড়ি ছেড়ে দিয়েছেন
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:42 pm by SARWAR

» প্রধান বিচারপতির সঙ্গে এইচটি ইমামের সাক্ষাতে পাল্টে গেল দৃশ্যপট
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:41 pm by SARWAR

» বিএনপির চেয়ারপার্সন বেগম খালেদা জিয়াকে ক্যান্টনমেন্টের বাড়ী থেকে উচ্ছেদের প্রতিবাদে চট্টগ্রামে বিএনপি বিক্ষোভ মিছিল করেছে। শনিবার বিকালে এ ঘটনার প্রতিবাদে থানায় থানায় বিক্ষোভ সমাবেশও করে দলের নেতা-কর্মীরা। সকাল থেকে মহানগর বিএনপির নাসিমন ভবনস্থ দলীয় কার্য
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:36 pm by SARWAR

» খালেদার ক্যান্টনমেন্টের বাড়ী ছাড়ার ইস্যু নিয়ে চট্টগ্রামে বিএনপির বিক্ষোভ
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:35 pm by SARWAR

» খালেদা জিয়ার বাড়ির দরজা ভাঙ্গা হচ্ছে: পুলিশের লাঠিচার্জ অব্যাহত
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:33 pm by SARWAR

» আমাকে এক কাপড়ে বের হয়ে আসতে হয়েছে : খালেদা জিয়া
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:32 pm by SARWAR

Top posters
JaMia BaNgLaDesH (22)
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_vote_lcapElahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_voting_barElahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_vote_rcap 
SARWAR (19)
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_vote_lcapElahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_voting_barElahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_vote_rcap 
Sirajul (6)
MuNaeM (4)
Joy (3)
Musaddique (1)
Monsur99 (1)
Mehjabeen (1)
pradap (1)
just olka (1)
Poll
Do you still love Jamia ?
Yes
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_vote_lcap100%Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_vote_rcap
 100% [ 13 ]
Not
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_vote_lcap0%Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Dont Know
Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_vote_lcap0%Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SARWAR

SARWAR

Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  Empty
PostSubject: Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining    Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 1:26 am

Prime minister's energy advisor Tawfiq-e-Elahi Chowdhury agreed to build support in favour of open-pit mining, seemingly under mounting pressure from US diplomats.

A latest US embassy cable leaked by the WikiLeaks said US diplomats repeatedly put pressure on Bangladesh government to reopen the controversial Phulbari coal mine, which was closed following a violent protest.

James F Moriarty, the US ambassador to Bangladesh, held talks with the country's chief energy advisor last year.

In that discussion, Moriarty urged Chowdhury to approve plans by British company Global Coal Management (GCM) to begin open-cast coal mining in the country's Phulbari area, The Guardian newspaper reported.

In the cable, Moriarty also notes that Chowdhury informed him that the coal mine was 'politically sensitive in the light of the impoverished, historically oppressed tribal community residing on the land'.

The energy advisor, however, agreed to build support for the project through the parliamentary process, Moriarty said in the cable.

In a cable posted by WikiLeaks which was sent in July last year, Moriarty says he had urged Chowdhury to authorise coal mining, saying that 'open-pit mining seemed the best way forward'.

Later on in the cable, Moriarty privately noted: "Asia Energy, the company behind the Phulbari project, has sixty percent US investment. Asia Energy officials told the ambassador they were cautiously optimistic that the project would win government approval in the coming months."

On 26 Aug 2006, three boys, 'Salekin', 20, 'Tariqul', 21, and 'Amin', 13, were killed and more than 200 people injured in Phulbari when law enforcers fired shots on a peaceful demonstration protesting the open-pit mining proposed by the UK-based Asia Energy.

Asia Energy's shares crashed in a single day after news spread that Bangladesh had withdrawn its mining rights.

The company requested trading be suspended, on Aug 31, 2006, saying "Asia Energy PLC ("the Company") became aware this morning of press reports quoting a junior minister in Bangladesh stating that the Bangladesh Government is cancelling all the existing agreements with Asia Energy.

"The Company had not received any communication from the government to this effect. In view of this, the shares of Asia Energy were suspended from trading on the AIM (Alternative Investment Market) at 08:40 hrs (British Summer Time) this morning," the company added.

Asia Energy, however, later changed its name to Global Coal Management at the same time as maintaining that it was fully committed to the Phulbari Coal Project in Bangladesh.

On its website, GCM says, "It's a London-based resource exploration and development company with its Phulbari Coal Project poised for development once the government of Bangladesh provides approval."

A parliamentary watchdog on Nov 29 also recommended open-pit coal mining saying that open-cast mining was possible by ensuring effective water management, proper rehabilitation of the affected people and keeping environmental damage to a minimum.

When contacted by The Guardian, GCM declined to make any comment.

Back to top Go down
http://www.lamsy.com

Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shahjalal Jamia Islamia School & College Students Forum :: AROUND THE WORLD :: WORLD NEWS BOARD-
Jump to: