Shahjalal Jamia Islamia School & College Students Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ISLAMIC SONG
Gallery
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE Empty
Latest topics
» SINGS OF HYPOCRATE
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 5:10 pm by SARWAR

» WIKILEAKS EXPOSÉ
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 1:26 am by SARWAR

» Elahi, Moriarty deal on Phulbari open-pit mining
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 1:26 am by SARWAR

» UK, US active to change madrasas
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 1:25 am by SARWAR

» 'DGFI wanted extremists in mainstream politics'
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 1:24 am by SARWAR

» US, India were against disbanding RAB
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 1:23 am by SARWAR

» Eid-ul-Fitr coming
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 5:43 pm by MuNaeM

» Eid Mubarak to all Friends
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 11:56 am by SARWAR

» $1.7bn Saudi monorail 'ready for hajj 2010'
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 1:03 pm by SARWAR

» বেগম জিয়া স্বেচ্ছায় সেনানিবাসের বাড়ি ছেড়ে দিয়েছেন
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:42 pm by SARWAR

» প্রধান বিচারপতির সঙ্গে এইচটি ইমামের সাক্ষাতে পাল্টে গেল দৃশ্যপট
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:41 pm by SARWAR

» বিএনপির চেয়ারপার্সন বেগম খালেদা জিয়াকে ক্যান্টনমেন্টের বাড়ী থেকে উচ্ছেদের প্রতিবাদে চট্টগ্রামে বিএনপি বিক্ষোভ মিছিল করেছে। শনিবার বিকালে এ ঘটনার প্রতিবাদে থানায় থানায় বিক্ষোভ সমাবেশও করে দলের নেতা-কর্মীরা। সকাল থেকে মহানগর বিএনপির নাসিমন ভবনস্থ দলীয় কার্য
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:36 pm by SARWAR

» খালেদার ক্যান্টনমেন্টের বাড়ী ছাড়ার ইস্যু নিয়ে চট্টগ্রামে বিএনপির বিক্ষোভ
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:35 pm by SARWAR

» খালেদা জিয়ার বাড়ির দরজা ভাঙ্গা হচ্ছে: পুলিশের লাঠিচার্জ অব্যাহত
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:33 pm by SARWAR

» আমাকে এক কাপড়ে বের হয়ে আসতে হয়েছে : খালেদা জিয়া
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:32 pm by SARWAR

Top posters
JaMia BaNgLaDesH (22)
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_vote_lcapSINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_voting_barSINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_vote_rcap 
SARWAR (19)
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_vote_lcapSINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_voting_barSINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_vote_rcap 
Sirajul (6)
MuNaeM (4)
Joy (3)
Musaddique (1)
Monsur99 (1)
Mehjabeen (1)
pradap (1)
just olka (1)
Poll
Do you still love Jamia ?
Yes
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_vote_lcap100%SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_vote_rcap
 100% [ 13 ]
Not
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_vote_lcap0%SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Dont Know
SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_vote_lcap0%SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

SINGS OF HYPOCRATE

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SARWAR

SARWAR

SINGS OF HYPOCRATE Empty
PostSubject: SINGS OF HYPOCRATE   SINGS OF HYPOCRATE I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 5:10 pm

Indeed, all praise belongs to Allah. We praise Him, seek His aid and forgiveness. We seek refuge in Allah from the evil of our own selves and from our evil actions. Whomsoever Allah guides, none can misguide him and whomsoever Allah misguides then none can guide him. I bear witness that nothing has the right to be worshipped except Allah, in His Oneness, without any partners and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.
“O you who believe! Fear Allah as He should be feared and die not except that you are Muslims.’ [Surah ali-'Imran (3):102]
“O Mankind! Fear your Lord, Who created you from a single soul (adam) and from him created his partner and from them both sent forth many men and women. Fear Allah from whom you demand your mutual rights and reverence the wombs that bore you. For Allah ever watches over you.” [Surah an-Nisa' (4):l]
“O you who believe! Fear Allah and always say a truthful word. He will direct you to do righteous actions and will forgive you your sins. Whosoever obeys Allah and His Messenger has already attained the highest success.”[Surah al-Ahzab (33):70-71]
To proceed: Indeed the best speech is the Book of Allah and the best guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam). The worst of affairs are the newly invented matters, for every newly invented matter is an innovation and every innovation is misguidance and every misguidance is in Hellfire.
Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullah) divides the whole of mankind into three categories: “Since Allah, the Exalted, sent Muhammad and strengthened him with His assistance and the hijrah, mankind has divided into three groups:
• The Believers: they are the ones who believe in Him outwardly and inwardly.
• The disbelievers: they are the ones who outwardly disbelieve in Him.
• The hypocrites: they are the ones who believe outwardly but not inwardly.
Because of this, Surah al-Baqarah begins with four verses dealing with the description of the believers, two verses dealing with the description of the disbelievers and thirteen verses contain the description of the hypocrites. [Majmu'al-Fatawa 28/433]
The disbelievers are open in their disbelief. Their rejection of Allah and His Messenger is harmful only to themselves. As for the hypocrites, they openly profess belief yet belie the Qur’an and its bringer, Muhammad Inwardly they disbelieve and seek to destroy the Religion of Islam and its true adherents, as Ibn ul-Qayyim al-Jawzi (rahimahullah) has mentioned: “Thirteen verses (in the beginning of Surah al-Baqarah) describe the hypocrites due to their abundance, the many trials they cause and the intensefitnah they cause to Islam and its adherents.” [Madarij as-Salikeen p. 198]
So they seek to destroy Islam, to turn Iman into kufr, Tawheed into shirk, Sunnah into bid’ah, justice into oppression and reformation i nto corruption and mischief. Thus, they pose a greater danger to the Ummah than the disbelievers, whose plotting and planning is more evident and clear to the Muslims. They exist and have existed in every age and era in the guise of leaders, reformers and deliverers from oppression. Yet Allah has full knowledge of them and has already described them with their corruption and deception and will soon land them in the lowest depths of Hellfire. We seek refuge in Allah from that.
However, these outright hypocrites are only half of the very serious and corrosive disease of hypocrisy present within the Ummah.
The other half is due to the hypocrisy in action which is widespread throughout the Ummah. You will not travel to a place where Muslims reside except that you will find a fair number among them lazy, delaying the fixed prayers beyond their proper times, lyin-, breaking promises, deceitful, cowardly, showing off, insincere, harsh and callous, backbiting, slandering and other such features which none but the outright hypocrites possess. When cancer spreads through the body, destroying it from within and corroding it, how can it seek to be fit, dynamic and full of vitality and what after that can restore it and bring it back to health and life? When such repugnant qualities a.-e present and widespread throughout the Ummah rendering it diseased and sick, how can the Ummah stand upon its feet and help itself.? How can this Ummah receive help and assistance from Allah? How will His mercy, blessings, aid and forgiveness descend?
The mischief, oppression and injustice dominant in the Muslim lands is made to continue because of the hypocrisy in action which you and I are guilty of. Until we seek repentance, hurry for His forgiveness. cleanse our hearts from such sins and strive to remove them with Allah’s help, you and I as individuals will not prosper, nor our communities, nor this Ummah. Indeed, if Allah wishes, He could destroy us all and bring a generation who would be completely devoid of such evil characteristics, worship Him sincerely and aid His cause with firmness upon His Path. The Exalted says:
“O You who Believe! Whoever from among you turns away from his Religion (then) soon will Allah bring a people (in replacement of you) whom He will love and they will love Him.” [Surah al-Ma'idah-(5):54]
It is we who are destitute, in need and Allah is free of all wants, worthy of all Praise. Therefore this is a matter of great, concern, consideration and fear for us all.
The Messenger sallallahu alayhi wa sallam said: “Indeed the Muslim sees his sins as if he is sitting under a mountainfearing that it will fall upon him. ” [Reported by al-Bukhari from'Abdullah ibn Mas'ud]
Somehow great effort has to be spent in expelling this fatal virus of hypocrisy. It might be pertinent to mention a way Ibn Qudamah alMaqdisi’ has described, by which a person can remove evil characteristics from himself. He mentions that a person should list all those particular qualities which are a defect in his character. Then he should attend to each one, individually and strive to remove it by doing the opposite of it and to persist in that until its opposite becomes a habit. During his struggle against this idiosyncrasy he should learn why he fell into it, how he is drawn towards it and how he can avoid it in the future. Once he has overcome and. removed one of these characteristics he can cross it off his list, praise and thank Allah for this success which was bestowed upon him by the Mercy of Allah and then move onto the next one.
One can list those particular signs of hypocrisy which are characteristic of him and Allah’s refuge is sought from that - and then seeking Allah’s aid he can strive to remove them, thus clearing himself from hypocrisy [[Mukhtasir Minhaj il-Qasideen p.379]. I hope Allah benefits me and all those who read this from what Shaikh A’id has written. Some of the Pious Predecessors used to say “May Allah show mercy to that man who guided us to our faults”, so may Allah have mercy upon him and forgive him for directing us to the signs of hypocrisy which he has deduced from the Qur’an and the Sunnah and may He also reward him for his effort and great concern.
Purpose of Bringing Up The Topic of Hypocrisy
Indeed one of the manifest characteristics of the believers is that they investigate and scrutinise their intentions, actions, behaviour and overall situation as regards to how they will fare on that terrifying day when:
“Every soul will be confronted with all the good it has done and all the evil it has done and it will wish that there was between it and its (evil) a great distance.”‘ Surah al-’Imran (3):30
‘Umar (radiallahu ‘anhu) used to say when he would give advice: “Call your own souls to account before you are called to account (on the Day of Judgement), weigh your own souls before you are weighed (on the Day of Judgement) and prepare yourselves for the biggest exposition!”
Hypocrisy in actions penetrates the Muslim community as the fire penetrates and devours wood. It enters into the hearts from directions that are not perceived. Thus, being vigilant and sealing the doors through which it enters is a prerequisite to protection. A poet said:
I acquainted myself with evil not for evil but in order to avoid it. Whoever does not know the evil is deserving of falling into it
Therefore, this protection cannot be complete except by knowing the signs, characteristics and the minutest details of hypocrisy because this knowledge of its truth as an enemy is necessary for its expulsion, as well as causing its defeat. ‘Umar (radiallahu ‘anhu) said: “Verily, the bonds of Islam are removed one by one from a people who are born into Islam and do not know what jahiliyyah is.” Likewise the one who does not know the reality of hypocrisy will have the bonds of truthfulness and sincerity removed from him one by one until he falls into falsehood and hypocrisy.
Many legislative texts have been reported which draw attention to the greatness of the signs of hypocrisy, warning the Muslim of the presence of just one of these signs within him or her. The Salaf (Pious Predecessors) of this Unimah never ceased to have an intense fear of hypocrisy. For this reason even ‘Umar insisted on asking Hudhaifa (radiallahu ‘anhuma): “Did the Messenger of Allah count me amongst the hypocrites?” This teaches a poignant lesson to those who feel comfortable, thinking that their actions for the sake of Allah are so many. ‘Umar was one of the ten who had been granted the good tidings of Paradise but nevertheless, he still feared hypocrisy. So the question must be asked: What then, is the case of those besides ‘Umar (radiallahu ‘anhu) who are less than him in piety. and the fear of Allah?
Shaikh a’id bin ‘Abdullah al-Qarnee, may Allah protect him, has covered the essence of the signs or characteristics of hypocrisy, has been exhaustive in revealing and explaining them and has warned us about them, with a warning which a sincere lover would give to the one he or she loves. May Allah reward him greatly for his wise and beneficial undertaking.
Noble reader! Here is a collection from among the signs of hypocrisy with which you should evaluate your soul and then, purify it from the effects of hypocrisy and impurities of riya’ (showing off). Consult your heart sincerely, even if the people have a good impression of you and Allah is the One from Whom all help is sought and upon Him should all trust be placed.
“Indeed Allah is the Knower of all that is in the hearts.” [Surah al-'Imran (3):154]
The Hypocrites Mentioned in the Qur’an
Praise be to Allah Who is well informed and ever watchful. Blessed be the One Who has placed in the sky constellations and made therein a blazing lamp and a moon which both illuminate. He is the One Who has made the night and day follow each other in alternation for the one who wishes to celebrate the praises of Allah or one who desires to be grateful. I testify that there is nothing worthy of worship except Allah and I testify that Muhammad is His Servant and Messenger who was sent by his Lord as a guide, a bringer of good tidings, a wamer and an inviter to Allah, by His permission; the shining light who conveyed the message, fulfilled his trust, advised the Ummah and strove in the way of Allah until there came to him the certainty. Peace and Blessings be upon him, his family and his Companions.
Allah, Glory be to Him, the Exalted, mentions the word nifaq (hypocrisy) and its derivatives thirty-seven times in a number of different Surahs, which are:
al-’Imran (3), al-Hashr (59), at-Tawbah (9), al-Ahzab (33), alFath (48), al-Hadid (57), al-Anfal (Cool, al-Munafiqun (63), anNisa’ (4), al-’Ankabut (29) and at-Tahrim (66).
These words are mentioned repeatedly in the above Surahs, proving the danger of the hypocrites upon society and its following of the Religion. We ask Allah to purify and free us from them and that He brings out from within them their disease as well as causing their cure. Indeed, He is Powerful over that and capable of it.
The Types of hypocrisy
The scholars of ahl us-Sunnah wal-Jama’ah have divided hypocrisy into two types:
• The First Type: hypocrisy in Belief [An-Nifaq al-l'tiqadiyy]
This takes the one guilty of it, out of the Religion and into the lowest depths of the Fire. He is the one who rejects internally and secretly the Messengership of Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam), even if he proclaims that he in fact believes and makes this outwardly clear or he rejects the Books, the angels or any fundamental point of belief from among the basics of ‘Aqeedah (creed) of Ahl-us-Sunnah. The proof of that is Allah saying, Glory be to Him, the Exalted:
Among men are those who say:’We believe in Allah and the Last Day’, but they do not really believe. They (think) that they deceive Allah and those who believe, but they only deceive their own souls, yet they do not perceive. In their hearts is a disease so Allah has increased their disease and for them is a mighty punishment for the lies they used to tell.’ [Surab al-Baqarah (2):8-10]
• The Second Type: hypocrisy in Actions [An-Nifaq al-'Amaliyy]
This does not take the one guilty of it out of Islam. However, the danger of that is still present. The proof of that is the saying of the Messenger of Allah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam reported by both al-Bukhari and Muslim:
“The signs of a (hypocrite) are three: When he talks he lies, when he makes a promise he breaks it and when he is trusted he is disloyal “
Also is his (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) saying which makes the matter more clear, as is reported by ‘Umar:
“There are four things, whoever possesses them is a pure hypocrite and whoever possesses one of them possesses a characteristic of hypocrisy until he abandons it. ‘When he is trusted he is disloyal, when he speaks he lies, when he makes a promise he breaks it and when he argues he behaves in an insolent manner.’” [Reported by al-Bukhari]
30 Signs of Hypocrites
Sign One::Falsehood and Lying
Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullah) says: “Lying is a pillar from among the pillars of disbelief.” He also says that whenever Allah mentions hypocrisy in the Qur’an, He mentions lying along with it and viceversa. The One free from all imperfections, the Exalted has said:
“They think that they deceive Allah and those who have accepted Faith, but they do not deceive except themselves and yet they do not perceive this. In their hearts is a disease so Allah has increased them in this disease. For them is a tormenting punishment for their falsehood.” Surah al-Baqarah (2):8-10
“Allah does witness that the hypocrites are indeed liars.” Surah al-Munafiqoon (63):1
Whenever hypocrisy is mentioned, lack of the remembrance of Allah is mentioned and when Faith is mentioned the remembrance of Allah is mentioned along with it. Allah says:
“They do not remember Allah except little.” Surah an-Nisa’ (4):142
“0 You who believe! Do not let your wealth or offspring divert you from the remembrance of Allah.” Surah al-Munafiqoon (63):9
Allah has cleared the believers of hypocrisy due to their remembrance of Him and has described the hypocrites with their little remembrance of Him. The Messenger of Allah said as is reported by both al-Bukhari and Muslim:
“The signs of a hypocrite are three…
Among them is mentioned that “…when he talks he lies.”
Therefore, if he lies jokingly or seriously (in any matter) or in order to accomplish an objective or an end then there is within him a branch of hypocrisy. He does not lie except due to the hypocrisy in his heart and Allah is the One from whom all aid is sought.
Lying is a clear sign which testifies to the hypocrisy of the one who does it. Likewise for the one who lies in jest as some people are careless in that.
The Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam said: “Woe be to him, woe be to him, woe be to him, he who utters a lie to make people laugh.”
Lying is cursed whether it is done seriously or jokingly. So one must be cautious against this blameworthy habit since the foundation of hypocrisy, its greatest pillar, its leader, its momentum and its support is lying. The hypocrites did not exhibit hypocrisy except due to falsehood in their hearts and that begins as a small speck in the heart, then deepens and enlarges, until it becomes a fortress from among the fortresses of hypocrisy - refuge is only with Allah! Therefore, I warn myself and you, for the sake of Allah, from lying. Beware of lying as it is due to hypocrisy and Allah has described the hypocrites with lying.
30 Signs of Hypocrites
Sign Two: Treachery
Evidence for this is his [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] saying: “… and when he makes a covenant with somebody he acts treacherously (or is disloyal). “[reported by al-Bukhari from'Abdullah bin 'Amr al-'Aas]
So whoever gives his right hand to the Muslims, the leader or any Muslim and makes a covenant with him, or to a disbeliever in war (i.e. treaty) and then acts treacherously (or is disloyal to his covenant) then he has testified against himself with hypocrisy.
This is shown from the hadeeth of Buraidah in Saheeh Muslim, the day when he appointed an ameer and said to him: ” When the people of the fort ask you that they should be allowed to give up and (be judged) in accordance with the judgement of Allah, for verily, your guarding/protecting your covenants is easier than guarding/protecting the covenant of Allah.
Whoever gives his trust to a man, his wife, his son, his companion, his friend or the leader, then deceives and acts treacherously without legal justification from the Shari’ah, then clearly, this is a sign and a pillar from the pillars of hypocrisy and refuge is only with Allah.
30 Signs of Hypocrites
Sign Three: Showing Insolence and Licentiousness in Argumentation
This is due to the prophet’s [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] saying reported by both al-Bukhari and Muslim: “…and when he argues he behaves insolently.”
The People of Knowledge have said: whoever argues with a Muslim (and I say a Muslim because argumentation with disbelievers is in a different category which they have separated from argumentation with a Muslim) and behaves immodestly in his argumentation then he has called Allah to witness as to what is in his heart: that he is an insolent hypocrite.
As for the disbeliever, then there is a hadith: “War is deception.” [1]Ali (radiallahu ‘anhu) acted upon it and it has another separate explanation. When deception of the disbelievers is required and jesting with them and making ruses and stratagems against them is appropriate then there is no treachery in that, but rather it comes under the category of deception and strategy and there is no evil in it.
1. Reported by Abu Dawood and al-Bayhaqi. The hadith however is not authentic as there is an unknown narrator ‘Abdul-Kareem bin ‘Abdullah bin Shaqeeq in the chain. See Sunan Abee Daawood no. 4996.
30 Signs of Hypocrites
Sign Four: Breaking One’s Promise
Whoever makes a promise to his brother and then breaks his promise has inherited a branch from among,the branches of hypocrisy. It is reported about the Messenger (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) in his seerah with acceptable chains of narration, that he made a promise to a man that he would meet him. So the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) came to the meeting place at the appointed time, but the man broke his promise and he remained in that place for three days and nights.
Then the man remembered and came, so the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said to him: You have troubled me (i.e. caused me inconvenience).
Therefore, one who breaks his promise without having been kept back or restrained then that is a clear sign of hypocrisy. This occurs due to the lack of discipline in the promises made between the Muslims. Whoever promises to meet you at a certain hour, day or place then fails you in your promise then know that he possesses a branch of hypocrisy to wash your hands of him (his acquaintance).
One of the righteous used to say when making a promise to his brother: “If Allah wills and there is no promise between me and you, if I am able then I will be present and if I am not able then pardon me.” This, in order that a branch of hypocrisy does not penetrate into him and that it is not written for him that he possesses a branch of hypocrisy.
Refuge is only with Allah! This is the hypocrisy in action which is abundant due to the lack of faith in some Muslims. They wake up breaking promises, lying, behaving insolently (with people) and acting treacherously. When a traveller goes to the lands of disbelief and sees their selfcentred discipline due to materialistic goals and their discipline in making promises he says: “How strange! I found sincerity, truthfulness and trustworthiness there.” So he returns extolling the enemies of Allah and the followers of every atheist, apostate and coward whilst cursing the Muslims. So we say to him: ‘You found over there a people trading with the dirham and the deenar (money), worshipping the profit and you have found people here who have no Faith and who have opposed the laws of Allah, thereby making the image, this Religion repugnant and repulsive in the eyes of the Muslims.”
30 Signs of the Hypocrites
Sign Five: Laziness In Worship
Allah, Glory be to Him, says:
“When they stand for the Prayer, they stand without earnestness (laziness).” [4:142]
When you see one who is lazy and idle in his approach to the Prayer, to the first row, to the remembrance of Allah, towards inviting people to Islam, towards knowledge or to the good sittings (in which the remembrance of Allah is made and correct beneficial knowledge is disseminated) then know that in his heart is the whisper of Shaytan. Shaytan wishes that this person is at ease while the whisper is within him, so that it may take its effect after a delayed time; just as a hen lays an egg and waits for it to hatch, likewise Shaytan plants a whisper in his heart, waiting for it to produce its ill effects. So beware of that. It is not so that the one who prays is free from hypocrisy as the hypocrites used to pray along with the Messenger of Allah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam. However, a sign of their Prayer was that they were lazy and idle in their approach to it. They performed it with laziness and out of feebleness. They did not know what was firmness and being steadfast (in worship) nor did they know that being firm and steadfast in their duty towards Allah would be prosperous and life-giving.
Allah says:
“0 Yahya! Hold on to the Book with rirmness.” [19:12]
As for the hypocrite, he drags his feet as if they are chained and he is being dragged by the chains towards the mosque. So you see him at the end of the rows or at the back of the mosque during the congregational prayer. He does not know what the Imam is reciting nor does he contemplate over it and neither does he understand it.
Muslim reports in his Saheeh in the hadith of al-Aswad bin Yazeed al-’Iraqi al-’abid that he said:
“I asked ‘A’ishah-(radiallahu ‘anha) when did he used to wake up for the night prayer (that is Qiyam ul-Lail or Tahajjud)? So she replied: ‘He used to get up when he heard the cock crow and he used to jump and leap up. “‘
She did not say that he would stand up but that he used to jump and leap up for the prayer. This is a proof for bravery, courage, soundness, fitness, liveliness, the fierceness of Faith and the firmness of intention. He used to come towards worship with determination and obedience. Therefore, you will see the righteous person constantly looking at the hands of his watch thinking when will the mu’adhin make the Call to Prayer? Has the time arrived? Has the time for the Prayer commenced? Then he stands hastily.
Imam Ahmad reports in his Kitab az-Zuhd, in the biography of ‘Adee bin Hatim, that he said: “By Allah never did the time for Prayer come close except that I had an ardent desire for it.”
They also say about Sa’eed bin al-Musayyib, in his biography, that he said: “Never did the mu’adhin announce the Call to Prayer in forty years except while I was in the mosque of the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) By Allah, this is Faith. So when you see the man who is in the best part of the mosque and in the first row then you may bear witness that he has Faith.
With at-Tirmidhee is a chain in which Daraj bin Abi as-Samah relates from Abi al-Haitham (which makes the chain weak) that the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam)said:
“Whomsoever you see frequenting the mosque then bear witness that he has Faith.”
However, its meaning is authentic with the People of Knowledge. So, whoever comes to the mosque and is constantly,upon that then he is free, if Allah wills, from hypocrisy in belief and it is upon him that he frees himself from hypocrisy in actions.
So laziness, my brothers and sisters, is a sign from among the signs of hypocrisy. You will see this sign with regards to Prayer, fasting, giving charity, remembrance of Allah, seeking forgiveness, attendance of lessons, useful knowledge and inviting people to Islam. So let the servant beware and make himself cautious of laziness, idleness and the lack of zeal as this is a dangerous disease with which Allah has described the hypocrites and we seek refuge in Him from it.
Sign Six: Showing Off
Allah, Glory be to Him, the Exalted, says about them:
“When they stand for the prayer, they stand without earnestness, to be seen of men, but they do not hold Allah in remembrance except little. [4:142]
Al-Bukhari and Muslim report the saying of the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam): “He who lets the people hear of his good deeds intentionally to win their praise, Allah will let the people-know his real intention (on the Day ofjudqement) and he who does good things in public to show off and win the praise of people, Allah will disclose his real intention and humiliate him (on the Day of Judgement). “
So how is showing off done? A person is humble and submissive in front of the people but when he is alone and in secrecy he prays quickly, without humility and submissiveness. When he sits with people he is full of renunciation of the worldly things and engaged in I worship; he behaves with good manners, speaks and thinks in a disciplined manner, but when he is alone he violates the sanctuary of Allah (commits unlawful things).
Ibn Majah reports from Abu Hurairah: The Prophet said: “People will come on the Day of judgement with good deeds like the mountains of Tihamah and Allah will make their deeds like scattered dust. ” The Companions asked: “Will they not be Muslims.? He replied: “Qfcourse! They will have prayed as you pray, they will have fasted as you fast, they will have spent in charity from their excess wealth and will have given their portion of the night (tahajjud) however, when they were alone they would violate the Sanctuary of Allah (i.e. trespass into what is unlawful).[1]
So a sign of the hypocrite is showing off. His actions are done for the sake of the people and he speaks for the sake of the people. We ask Allah to purify us from showing off and from fame and reputation. They fare the most dangerous of diseases because when a servant is inflicted with them, they corrupt all his actions.
It is authentically related from the Messenger of Allah that he said: ” Allah will say on the Day of Judgement: I am free of having any partners and from having anything associated with me. Whoever associates (partners) with me in any action, I will abandon him and his association o me. [2]
So Allah will not accept the actions of a hypocrite whether they are few or many.
Imam Ahmad reports in his Musnad the saying of the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) “Showing off is (a form of) associating partners with Allah.
The Pious Predecessors used to cry out of their fear from showing off. They would complain to Allah, their Master and Protector, that He should cleanse and free them from showing off.
Spending (both wealth and goods), praying, fasting, the remembrance of Allah, speaking, loving, hating, enjoining the good, forbidding the evil, and all other actions can enter into (the sin of) showing off. There is no protection from showing off except with the help of the following three points:
First: To know that none that has the power to give benefit and inflict harm except Allah, that there is none that can cause illness and heal, give and take life, give sustenance and withhold it, give reward for any action and punish for any action, except Allah. So it is upon you to be aware of this and to be cautious.
Second: To acknowledge that the creation has very little ability and its power to do the above-mentioned is nonexistent. It cannot benefit nor harm; it cannot give nor take life; it cannot resurrect nor give reward and neither can it punish. So again, it is upon you to be aware of this and to be cautious.
Third: To call upon Allah with this beautiful supplication which the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) used to say and taught his Companions with, that they should say:
“Allahumma innee a’oodhobika an ashruka bika shay’an wa ana a ‘lam wa astaghfiruka mim-ma la a’lam.”
<Al-Hasan al-Basri used to say: “Oh Allah! I seek refuge in You from showing off and seeking repute and fame.” In another wording from him, in his biography: “Oh Allah! Forgive me for my showing off and my seeking to be heard of.”
So fear Allah! Fear Him and be cautious of these two diseases. As for seeking repute and fame, then this means seeking reputation or recognition, speaking and doing actions for the purpose of gaining fame amongst the people. Therefore Allah will expose the hypocrites in front of all the people (on the Day of Judgement) and we ask Allah to heal us and free us from showing off and seeking repute and fame.it.
[1] Reported by Ibn Majah from Thawban and al-Albani has authenticated it in Sahih Ibn Majah no. 3423.
[2] Reported by Muslim.
[3] Reported by Ahmad in his Musnad and also reported by at-Tabarani in alAwsat.
Sign Seven: Lack of the Remembrance of Allah
Glory be to Allah! The hypocrites do remember Allah, but only seldom. He, the Exalted and Glory be to Him, has said “When they stand up to Prayer, they stand without earnestness, to be seen of men, but they do not hold Allah in remembrance except little.” [4:142]
Allah did not say that they do not remember Him. He said that they remember Him but only a little. Perhaps the hypocrite remembers Allah and glorifies Him but only seldom, his tongue and heart are dead and he is not desirous or enthusiastic for Allah’s remembrance.
It has been confirmed that the Messenger of Allah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam said in the hadeeth of Abu Darda: “That is the Prayer of the hypocrite, and that is the prayer of the hypocrite, that is the prayer of the hypocrite. He watches the sun till it is close to its place of setting… “
In another version “… until it becomes yellow, then he stands and strikes the ground four times (four rak’ahs) and he does not bring Allah to mind within them except little.” [Reported by Muslim]
Glory be to Allah! The hypocrite prays and remembers Allah a little but still that does not free him from hypocrisy.
As for the sign of Faith then that is abundant, continual remembrance of Allah. Ibn al Qayyim al Jawzee said in his book, (al-Wabil as-Sayyib): “If there was no benefit to be gained from the remembrance of Allah except that it excludes the one who does it from hypocrisy then that would be enough.”
It was said to ‘Ali (radiallahu ‘anhu): “Were the Khawarij hypocrites?” The Khawarij whom he killed. He said: “No. They, the Khawarij, used to remember Allah in abundance whilst the hypocrite remembers Allah only a little.”
Allah, Glory be to Him, says. “Wi thout doubt, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find satisfaction. [13:28]
“Then remember me and I will remember you.” [2:152]
“Those who remember Allah standing, sitting and lying down on their sides.” [3:191
"Men and women who engage much in Allah's remembrance." [33:35]
“0 you who believe! Engage yourself in Allah’s praises and do so often.” [33:41]
It was said to Ibn as-Salah ash-Shafi’ee, the muhaddith: “What is the definition of abundant remembrance of Allah?” He said: “Whoever guards the remembrances after the Prayers and in the morning and evening, when eating and drinking, when sleeping, when awakening, upon seeing the lightning, upon hearing thunder, upon the fall of rain which brings about produce, when entering and leaving the mosque and their like then he has remembered Allah often.”
It has been attributed to Ibn ‘Abbas (radiallahu ‘anhu) that he said: “Whoever remembers Allah whether he is journeying or not, whether he is standing, sitting, lying on his side or moving, in good health and in illness then he has remembered Allah often.”
It has been mentioned from some of them (the Pious Predecessors) that they said: “Remembering Allah often is that your, tongue does not cease to be moist (busy) with the remembrance of Allah.”
At-Tirmidhee reports with an authentic chain from ‘Abdullah ibn Busr that a man came to the Messenger of Allah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam and said: “O Messenger of Allah! The commandments of Islam are too numerous for me, so inform me of something to which I may hold fast.” He
said: ”Do not let your tongue cease to be moist with the remembrance of Allah.”
Muslim reports that he said: “That I say Glory be to Allah (Subhanallah), Praise be to Allah
(Alhamdulillah), there is nothing worthy of worship except Allah (La illaha illallauh) and Allah is the
Greatest (Allahu-Akbar) are more loved by me than anything upon which the sun rises. ” In another version “… or sets.
Muslim reports from Abu Hurairah that the Messenger of Allah said: “The Mufarridoon have outstripped (the rest). ” They (the Companions) asked: “Who are the Mufarridoon, 0 Messenger of Alla?” He replied: “They are the men and women who remember Allah much. My brothers and sisters! Commit yourselves to much remembrance of Allah as hypocrisy is feared for the one who does not remember Allah abundantly. Let there be increase in your remembrance of Allah in the morning and the evening, let your hearts cling to the tasbeeh (Subhanallah), to the tahmeed (Alhamdulillah), to the takbeer (Allahu-Akbar), to the tahleel (La ilaha illallah), to the recitation of the Qur’an and to the sending of peace and blessings upon Muhammad.
Among the best books on Dhikr (Remembrance of Allah) are al-Adhkar of an-Nawawee, al-Wabil asSayyib of Ibn al-Qayyim al-Jawzee and al-Kalimat ut-Tayyib of Ibn Taymiyyah.
Sign Eight: Hastiness in the Prayer
As has been reported from the Messenger of Allah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam in the aforementioned hadeeth: “That is the Prayer of the hypocrite, that is the Prayer of the hypocrite, that is the Prayer of the hypocrite. He watches the sun till it is close to its place of setting, then he stands and strikes the ground four times (four rak’ahs) and he does not bring Allah to mind within them except little.” [Reported by Muslim]
This means performing the Prayer with hastiness and speed; being inattentive and unaware of what is being said in the Prayer; making little remembrance of Allah within it which means that one recites with speed and recites the short chapters (of the Qur’an) so that the prayer is completed quickly, glorifying Allah in the bowing and prostration by using only the minimum of what is required and not extending beyond that; without the presence of the heart; making oneself aware of the presence of the Might of Allah, the Exalted with Power, the Magnified and of His Exalted Position and without fear of Him.
These are among the signs of the Prayer of the hypocrite.
Ibn Qayyim al- Jawzee says in his book al-Madarij: “The one who is praying prays by the side of his brother in the same row, behind the same imam and the difference between the prayers of the two is like the distance between the heavens and the earth.”
This is because in one heart is sincerity, love, an ardent longing and craving (for Allah), watchfulness and fearfulness. As for the other heart, it has escaped from the Prayer and is far away in the valleys of the world, there is no life in it because it is dead. We seek refuge in Allah from that.
So fear Allah! Fear Him by paying more attention to submissiveness and humility in the prayer. Allah, Glory be to Him, says: “The Believers will be successful. Those who are submissive and humble in their Prayer.” [23:1]
I refer you to the book al-Khushoo’ fis-Salah of Ibn Rajab and this is the best of what has been written about the Prayer. [In the English language, there is probably no book more beneficial than The characteristics of the Prophet's Prayer described by the esteemed scholar Muhammad Nasir ud-Deen al-Albanee, translated by Usama ibn Suhaib Hasan]
Sign Nine: Slandering Those Who Give Themselves
Freely to Good Deeds From Among the
Believers and the Righteous
Slander is the defamation of the honour of the Believers and the Righteous and drawing out ones tongue against them. Included in the Mutawwi’een (those who give themselves freely to doing good deeds) are those true in obedience (Mutasaddiqeen) and those who give their souls to (struggling in the) path of Allah.
You will find the hypocrite in every gathering. He has no other concern except for the bringing down of the righteous. He is the spreader of evil and suspicion, being extremist, unrelenting in his pursuit. He does not know that he should be talking about the Jews, the Christians or the Communists. His only concern in the morning and the evening is attacking the Friends of Allah. The righteous are from among the Friends of Allah. The hypocrite talks about them and slanders them whenever he is
in a gathering and mocks and ridicules them. Just like one of the contemporary writers who says in his book: “A man from the Emirates with a big thick beard asked me about cologne” and his intention is to attack the beard and the thawb (gown). I don’t know how he perceives the Sunnah except that he thinks it to be peculiar. He also said in Algeria: “A person with a big thick beard asked me about the shortening of the thawb (gown) and another with a big beard asked me about the matter of hijab.” We say to him that the matter of the beard, the thawb and the hijab was not raised except out of mockery and slander.
My brothers and sisters, for the sake of Allah, let the believer take caution from this as it is a sign of hypocrisy that he defames and slanders the righteous. The hypocrite is always narrating stories about the righteous and mocking them, as well as the scholars, the callers to Allah, the students of knowledge and the steadfast worshippers. This happens repeatedly and is common practice amongst them as Ibn alQayyim has mentioned in his book Healin for the Diseased. He says, when he mentions innovations that they attack and make assaults upon Ahl-us-Sunnah.
Al-Awwal, the poet said:
If I was put to trial by one from among the clan of Hashim
Having with him the Banu Abdul Madan
It would be easy for me what I encounter, however
Come and look at the one who is putting me to trial
A bedouin made it clear to his brother when he said:
Either you must be my brother in truth
Then I would know from you my good from my bad
Or if not, then expel me and take me as an enemy
I will fear you and you will fear me
If my left hand opposed me with hatred
I would not reconcile it by my right
Then I would cut it and declare between myself
Thus do I have an aversion for whoever turns from me
Therefore, abusing the righteous and taking their honour is a sign of hypocrisy and refuge is with Allah.
Sign Ten:Mocking the Qurlan, the Sunnah
I heard about a debauched sinner present in our time. This evil person does not pray, nor does he fast or give charity or restrain himself (from evil) yet he vomits over the Sunnah and mocks the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam ).
If this story is true then upon him is the curse of Allah, the angels and the whole of mankind. Allah will not accept from him any of his efforts nor his just behaviour, nor.his words and He will not look towards him nor purify him and there is for him a tormenting punishment.
He sat with some youths, misleading them and diverting them from the path of Paradise and instead taking them to the path of Hellfire. He said: “Do you wish that I should narrate to you a hadeeth of Abu Hurairah?” So they said: “Narrate to us a hadeeth of Abu Hurairah.” So he said: My (paternal) aunt narrated to me that her (maternal) aunt narrated to her that her grandmother heard someone so that one day while the Companions were gathered around the Messenger of Allah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam he said: “Do you know what Pepsi is?” Whereas there was no such thing as Pepsi during his time, rather he was jesting, mocking. So they (the Companions) said: “We do not know” so he said: “Go away from me! You do not know what Pepsi is!”
This is enough for the charge of Kufr (disbelief) to be made against him, he has disbelieved due to these words of his and his blood has gone to waste and his recompense is the sword. Prayer shall not be performed over him, nor should he be shrouded and neither should he be buried amongst the graves of the Muslims, rather he is a disbeliever.
He, the Sublime, says: “Say: Is it Allah and His Messenger that you mock. Do not make any excuses as you have already disbelieved after having had Faith.” [9:65]
Allah revealed this verse with regard to a group of people from the hypocrites who prayed with the Messenger sallallahu alayhi wa sallam fasted and did jihad. However, they sat in a gathering, chattering and conversing and one of them said: “We have not found a people like the Companions more greedier for food or more cowardly than them in meeting the enemy.”
So Allah revealed their disbelief in this verse as well as their disgust and humiliation in front of all the witnesses (on the Day of Judgement) and nothing has the right to be worshipped except Allah! How many lofty palaces’ which the Muslims possessed have been demolished? How many fortresses have fallen? How many houses have been made to lay in ruins and how many cities have perished? The reward of all of them being the Fire of Hell, what an evil refuge!
Mockery of the Religion is concealed in the mockery of the Sunnah of the Messenger such as mocking the thawb (the gown, the bottom of which is kept above the ankles), the siwak (the toothstick), the beard, the religious gatherings (for knowledge etc.), the hadeeth and their like. The ruling on the one who deliberately mocks the Religion is that he is a disbeliever.
Sign Eleven:The Protective Oath
Allah, the Sublime, says: “They have made their oaths a screen (for their misdeeds).” [(63):21] Meaning as a means of protection. When you question them then the easiest thing for them to do is to swear and -make an oath that what they say is the truth, whereas in reality they are liars.
So you will see them backbiting a man and when this man who has been backbitten hears about it, the hypocrite says: “By Allah, I did not say anything about you! By Allah, you are one of my most beloved friends!” But in reality he has lied and has made his oath as a screen to protect himself.
Amongst the signs of the hypocrites is that he makes many false oaths to the people.
He, the Sublime says: “So do not follow every despicable person who is hasty in making oaths.” [(68):10]
The word khallaf in this verse means one who makes excessive oaths and this form of the word is the same as fa’al [1] giving it the meaning: one who repeatedly swears and makes oaths.
Imam ash-Shafi’ee said: “I never swore by Allah either truthfully or out of falsehood.” He never made an oath in falsehood oreven when he spoke the truth out of veneration of Allah, the One, the Unique and due to His Might. May Allah give him a goodly reward for his fear and awe.
[1] A verb form which denotes the intensity of the action it represents or its frequent repetition
Sign Twelve: Disliking to Spend for the Sake of Allah
You will see the hypocrite spending, giving charity and donating money. He will have built mosques and will have given his share towards them either out of show or to be heard of. Yet he hates to spend (in the way of Allah). He only gives in those matters which are for his own self interests. Allah knows best about him, whether it is for fame or to flatter himself in front of the people or so that people may turn their eyes towards him. So he spends but reluctantly and really hates to do so. However, when the Muslim gives, he opens his chest and is delighted and praises Allah, asking that He should facilitate for him an affair of goodness or that there is a poor or needy person who will accept his charity. So he extols Allah for these gains. These are among the signs of a believer.
My beloved brothers and sisters, scrutinise your spending (giving in charity etc.) to see for what reasons and motives it is actually spent. If you see any sign of showing off or hesitancy (i.e. dislike) in what you spend, then hold on tightly to your dirham so that your wealth and possessions are not squandered and thus become a loss to you. Otherwise regret and remorse will be felt on the Day of the Biggest Exposition!
Sign Thirteen: Desertion and Abandonment (of the Muslims)
Among the signs of the hypocrites is that they flee from the ranks of the Muslims. This man will desert you and be pessimistic and constantly in fear. He will say: “the disbelievers are stronger than the Muslims, Israel has technology and strength which Allah does not know about!”
He mocks and ridicules saying: “Are the Muslims capable of fighting America, the owner of nuclear weapons and atomic bombs? They are not capable. We Muslims are doomed to destruction and annihilation, we are weak and in poverty.” This is his opinion.
Therefore, you will find that the hypocrites who have gone to the countries of the west have become brainwashed and have taken on the role of being representatives for the disbelievers, the colonialists and the foreigners. Yet they are our own sons, constantly portraying the might of America, her strengths, her rockets and her aeroplanes.
However, in contrast they mention the weakness of the Muslims and their humiliation because they do not believe that honour and strength is from Allah:
“To Allah belongs all Honour and to the Messenger and the believers.” [63:8]
Allah, the Sublime, says:
“If Allah helps you, then there is none that can overcome you.”[3:160]
“There is no help except from Allah.” [4:126]
“The example of those who take protectors besides Allah is like the example of the spider which builds for itself a house, but truly the flimsiest of houses is the house of the spider.” [29:41]
But the hypocrite does not understand that honour is with Allah, so he constantly turns away from the Muslims. When thejihad that took place in Afghanistan was mentioned to him he would say: “Do you really think that the Russians will leave the mujahidoon. They will soon pulverise them. There is no comparison between the two. Russia has abilities and powers that Allah does not know about!”
When he heard about the youth who were about to embark on jihad, he would say: “I do not think that they will go, as I havejust heard of a massive battle that the mujahidoon, may Allah help them, have taken a brutal thrashing.” When he sees someone going to lectures or talks, he flees from him and says: “I don’t see any benefit in these lectures. There is nothing in them, but Fear Allah, Fear Allah!” Yet are there more beautiful and beneficial words than ‘Fear Allah!’ Or more lofty or more noble or graceful? By Allah never! He says to his colleagues: “Don’t attend the lessons, these things go on all the time, its better for you that you stay at home, don’t waste your time, You will find the most important things in the books and magazines.” All of this is from the abandonment and desertion of Muslims and is one of the signs of hypocrisy. Refuge from this is only with Allah!
Sign Fourteen: Originating False Rumours and Causing Sedition
Allaah, the Sublime, has said: “Truly the hypocrites and those in whose hearts is a disease and those who stir up sedition in the city…“ [33:60]
Causing sedition and deserting the Muslims are related. However, the one causing sedition or spreading rumours exaggerates events and happenings. Whenever there is an easy matter he makes it difficult and makes it appear very big so that when he hears that one of the mujaahidoon has been killed, he says: “I have heard that one hundred mujaahidoon have been killed” or when he hears that a particular scholar has erred in some matter, he says: “May Allaah guide us and him with his many mistakes.”
When a caller to Allaah’s Religion says a word and his tongue slips, saying something which has no purpose, this rumour-monger makes it such a big issue and exaggerates it in the gatherings, saying: “Have you not heard what so and so said.”
He engages upon cutting that person up, knowing full well that this caller possesses many good qualities and many benevolences, but he does not spread these amongst the people. Ash-Shu’bee said: “I have never seen the likes of these rumour mongers. By Allaah if I am hurt ninety-nine times they will forget it, but they will hold me to account for one mistake.” By Allaah, this is sedition and they shake and upset people’s hearts.
Sign Fifteen: Finding Fault with Allah’s Decree
Allah, the Sublime, has said about the hypocrites: “The ones that say (of their brethren who have been slain) while they themselves sit at ease: “If only they had listened to us they would not now have been slain.” [3:168]
When the Muslims went out towards Uhud, the hypocrites said to them: “Don’t go out and fight, but remain with us.” They did not listen to them, and went out and were slain, martyrs in the path of Allah. Then the hypocrites began to boast in the gatherings, saying: “we told them, gave them our sincere advice and counselled them but they disagreed with us. If they had listened to us they would not have been slain.”
Allah the Sublime, has said: “Say: Avert death from your own selves if you are indeed truthful.” [3:168]
By Allah, indeed they are in utter falsehood and soon will they die the death of a donkey! The poet spoke the truth when he said:
“By your life! The great misfortune is not the loss of wealth Nor a sheep which dies, nor a camel
But the great misfortune is the loss of nobility
There die with its death an abundance of men.”
The hypocrites say that whoever dies in the chicken house is as the one who dies by the sword in the path of Allah, this one is dead and similarly that one is also dead. Whoever dies in the wine shop is like the one who dies in the path of Allah.
However, (in reality) one is in Hellfire and the other is in Paradise and yet the taste of death for both was the same.
A poet says: The taste of death in a matter contemptible
Is as the taste of death in a matter monumental.
In essence, finding fault with al-Qada wal-Qadr (Divine Decree) is one of the signs of hypocrisy. The Muslim however submits to Divine Decree with the Exalted’s words placed in front of him:
“No misfortune can happen on earth or in your own souls but is recorded in a Book before We bring it into existence. ” (57):22
“Verily all things We have created in proportion and measure and Our command is but a single (act) like the twinkling of an eye.” (54):49-50
“Indeed We shall test you with something of fear and hunger and some loss in your goods or lives or the fruits of your toil. But give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere, who say when inflicted with a calamity: “To Allah we belong and to Him shall we return.” (2):155-156
The hypocrite however, questions and is not satisfied with the measure of Allah. When he is afflicted with a calamity he says: “How can this be? If only I had done such and such then it would have been otherwise.” He blames the people, having rejected the Divine Decree and measure of Allah. As forthe believer he says: “I believe in Allah and I have submitted.” He knows full well that everything is due to Allah’s decree and apportioning. [Refer to the booklet Faith in Predestination, edited by Dr. Suhaib Hasan. This work contains an article by Shaikh Muhammad ibn Salih al-'Uthaimeen, which explains this important belief of the Divine decree, in a clear and concise manner.
In Saheeh Muslim from Suhaib is the hadeeth of the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam): "How strange is the affair of a believer. Indeed in all of his affairs there is goodness. If he is made to feel pleasure then showing gratefulness is a source of good for him and if he is made to suffer from some calamity then showing patience is a source of good for him and this is not the case with, anyone but a believer."
'Umar (radiallahu 'anhu) said: "By Allah, I do not care whether I ride on a mount of poverty or ride a mount of wealth." How free is Allah from all imperfection. How the Friends of Allah are pleased by Allah's Decree and determination of affairs! How delightfully beautiful is the taste ofthe pleasure of al-Qada wal-Qadr which has been forbidden to the hypocrites! Along with this (loss), soon will they have a taste of Allah's Decree. Then they will be resurrected and brought to Allah in a state of regret and remorse.
Abu Tamam Ma'ziyan said to one of his brothers:
Do you show steadfastness upon trials, With hope and anticipation (of reward) so that You may be recompensed or will -you think no more, Just as the oblivion of the beasts.
He says if you do not show patience and anticipate a reward in the Hereafter, then by Allah you will be heedless just as an animal is oblivious of its offspring.
Sign Sixteen: Bringing Down the Honour of the Righteous
Destroying the honour of a Muslim is different from mocking him as destroying his honour resembles backbiting. The Exalted says:
"They will smite you with sharp tongues, covetous of goods." [33:19]
‘Sharp’ meaning as if they are swords. One will see them, when the righteous turn their backs, they smite them with their tongues, attack them viciously and take their honour by backbiting them in the gatherings.
Backbiting can be in the form of a supplication. Ibn Taymiyyah mentions that within a supplication there is what amounts to backbiting due to the intention of a person. On the outside it appears that he is supplicating for him. When you say to him: “What do you think of such and such?” He replies: “May Allah forgive him and us,” while he does not really desire forgiveness for us or for him, but rather he desires something else which Allah has full knowledge of. Or he says: “May Allah protect us from the trial which so and so is going through,” or he says: “May Allah guide him.” Even in the glorification of Allah there is backbiting as Ibn alMubarak (rahimahullah) has pointed out.
Once when a man had been mentioned to one of the Sultans, one of the ministers said: “How free is Allah from every imperfection,” as a warning to the Sultan, for him to be cautious of the man mentioned. So on the outside he glorified Allah, but on the inside he slandered and belittled that person.
These hidden intentions, Allah will make them known on the Day when that which is in the graves will be raised and given life and that which is locked up in the hearts of men will be made manifest.
It is strange that some people will not backbite the evildoer and sinner. The Jews and the Christians are secure from the tongue of this sinner but the Muslim has no safety from him. A man came to one of the righteous and backbit this person’s brother.
The righteous person asked him: “Have you fought against the Romans?” He replied: “No,” the righteous person asked: “Have you fought against the Persians?” The man (the backbiter) replied: “No.” The righteous person then said: “Rome and Persia are secure from you, yet a Muslim is not! Get away from me!”
Another man whilst in a gathering with one of the scholars backbit someone, so the scholar said: “bring to mind when they place the shroud over your eyes, whilst you are in the agony of death and:…
The Day when wealth and sons will not avail anyone except he who comes to Allah with a sound
heart.”‘ (26):88-89

Back to top Go down
http://www.lamsy.com

SINGS OF HYPOCRATE
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shahjalal Jamia Islamia School & College Students Forum :: AROUND THE WORLD :: ISLAMIC WORLD NEWS-
Jump to: